boy with step mom

It’s a shock to hear but as parents we have to cope when this occurs. It may never occur but the reality is, it does occur. It can be a very difficult thing to hear but how you respond is what really matters. The best advice I can offer comes from my own experience. When my oldest son turned 12 he told me he wanted to go live with his dad. I was adamantly against this move. My first instinct was to say NO and end the discussion. Instead I told my son that I needed to know why he wanted to make this change. He hemmed and hawed and couldn’t really provide any reason other than because he said so. So instead of saying NO outright I told him that he needed to have a viable reason to and when he could articulate something we would discuss it. Lucky for me he couldn’t come up with any good reason or reason at all other than I want to. I did later find out he was being promised “gifts” if he went to live with his dad. The next year my son approached me again with the same request. This time he came armed with some very logical reasons as to why the move would be good. He also made it clear that he wanted to try it and wasn’t sure if it was what he wanted permanently. I let him go on a temporary basis for 1 year with two main rules: There would be no moving back until the year was complete He would come and visit every other weekend source momversus

SHARE

Law Firms

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment